Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default gummer dweeber - no military service

On 1/15/2012 7:38 PM, David R. Birch wrote:
On 1/15/2012 3:40 PM, Hawwke-ptooey wrote:
On 1/15/2012 6:08 AM, wrote:
On Jan 15, 12:33 am, wrote:

Let's look at your statement "most of my friends have demonstrated that
they are in the top 2%". Really? How many friends are we talking about?

Close friends, less than a dozen, either Mensans or would easily qualify
if they bothered. A more extended group, maybe another 30, probably only
2/3 operate at that level.

Yeah, sure, I'll believe that claim when I see the proof and not until.
All your dozen close friends are Mensa level intellects. What a crock.
If what you say is true you would be operating in truly elevated levels
with the highest intellect people you would find. But then we find you
here on a metalworking forum. Something doesn't fit the profile. A
genius like you hanging out with the rabble? Why?

One, two, fifty? So how many is most of your friends and how have they
demonstrated they are in the top 2%? Did you check them to see they are
in the near genius level? Being a bit less that truthful here aren't
you?

You seem to the only one who missed the significance of the 2% figure I
used. Why does that not surprise me?

It shouldn't because nobody else knows what you are blathering about
either. Nobody cares about what percent you threw out there. It's not
true so what difference is there if the number was 1% or 3%. When you
are bull****ting people the numbers don't really matter.

The top 2 % is not that remarkable. Looking at Wiki, the top 2 % just
means an IQ of 131 or better. When I was working in Alaska, one of my
friends knew he was smart and wanted a way to get it on his employment
record. At the time the company gave IQ tests , but not at remote
sites as where we were in Alaska. Anyway I contacted the right people
in the company and got permission to give IQ tests to employees. No
danger in my cheating as I had already taken the test before going to
Alaska. I can not remember all the scores, but as I remember the
lowest score was about 120 and most scores were 130 or more. Not the
results one would get if testing the general population, but this was
a group of electronic techs and engineers.

Dan

I'm not too sure that example is very useful. I think genius IQs are in
the 140-150 range or slightly above. So if your group had an average IQ
of 130 they were far above average, yep, maybe in the top 2%.

As I expected, you know nothing about intelligence testing or IQ. There
is no such thing as a "genius IQ" outside the popular media, which is
also responsible for nonsense characterizations like non matching socks
and pocket protectors.

You probably didn't notice it because your superior intellect was
focused on some other deep matter, but the intellectual level we have
here in this group is certainly no higher than what you find in the
popular media. So to use language that is congruent with common
understanding and usage is perfectly appropriate. Only if you have a
giant head and are trying to foist some fake portrait of yourself as
being as brainy as a genius would that kind of language upset you some.

131 is where it starts, some of the people I had dinner with last night
are as far beyond me as I am beyond you. Very exciting to talk with.

Beyond? You aren't even equal to. It's obvious to all that as Clint
Eastwood used to say, you are a legend in your own mind. You are also
afflicted by the Dunning-Kreuger effect, meaning you overestimate your
abilities and underestimate everyone else's. You're a particularly
serious example of thinking you are a lot better than you are.

Unlike you, who are the sort of person I joined Mensa to avoid.

Going to prove that? If you and Gunner are examples of Mensa members
that's a club I sure would want no part of. So what else do you and
Gummer have in common besides being liars.

But I bet
you can't say that about your normal friends and family. I know I can't.

Again, I'm not surprised that your friends and family don't qualify for
Mensa.

Surprising you is not all that tough to do. You aren't nearly as brainy
as you pretend you are.

So I'm saying that I don't believe this guy's friends are all in the 2%
intellect category. He's making that up so he can try to make me seem
dumb.

You do that to yourself, I'm just pointing out.

I can point out some things too. You are dishonest and you aren't all
that bright. You lack character. But I'm just pointing it out.

The point is he has to make up a lie to do it.

No lie, but I don't have to prove anything to you.

I never said I'm that smart, just smarter than average. I don't know
how much but I did have IQ tests in high school and I was supposed
to be getting really good grades based on that.

Based on what you've shown here, I'd guesstimate IQ of about 115-120,
considered High Normal, a little below where you find most politicians
and successful businessmen, which usually run 120-135. OTOH, my dad was
a successful civil engineer, architect and businessman with an IQ of 146.

From what you have shown here I'd put you at about 115 as well. Not a
thing you have written shows you to be superior in any way. For example.
Take Ed Huntress' writing style. I don't think he's a member of Mensa
yet you can't hold a candle to him. He's clearly a far better writer
than you. That should not be the case if you are as bright as you say
you are. One more thing, the intellect of family members and
acquaintances has nothing to do with you.

At the time my gradesshowed me to be in the bottom 2%. But back then all
I did was screwaround and I don't think I ever did any homework in
four years of high school. I changed. When I got my B.A. my grades
were good enough for the grad school to accept me. So things do change.

Hawwke-ptooey

Was it a conscious decision to stop learning after you got your BA? Did
you realize you now knew everything you would ever need to?

What's funny is to hear your ignorance so prominently displayed. What
you say about me is about as accurate as you saying that Mitt Romney
isn't rich. I've been an avid reader since I was 12 years old. I've got
at least 20 years of formal education under my belt. I am constantly
undertaking new endeavors that teach me new things every year and I have
a lifelong history of learning. Then some completely ignorant Dude comes
along who doesn't know a damn thing about me and says the exact
opposite. It's impossible for you to be any farther off the mark. You
have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, which tells me all I
need to know about you. You're a buffoon.

Hawke