Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Windows not genuine

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:54:46 -0800 (PST), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

On Jan 14, 9:38Â*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 08:20:06 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:51:34 -0500, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

On 1/12/2012 5:59 AM, wrote:
I bought this computer a month ago. Then I learned that W7 would not
run myvery old Â*copy of autocad, visual basic, and most important my
CNC control software(Camsoft).

I managed to completely hose W7 trying to get XP running on the same
box. So, I went nuclear:reformated, installed XP, then W7 using the
COA sticker on the side of this box (emachine from Best Buy).

All was well until just a few minutes ago. The screen went black and I
got "This copy of windows is not genuine". I was able to put in a new
background.

Is this box about to die? What should I do?

Karl

Where did you get the copy you used?

I got the DVD OS install from a wire brush guy VBG

The COA sticker on the box was the product number I used.
M$oft says its not valid and told my better half to call the
manufacturer. Can't find a place to call on this best buy emachine.

I'll be returning the 'puter to best buy as soon as it dies.

I NOW REALLY F%^&ING HATE M$OFT. This new OS won't run my old software
and caused all the trouble. I've spent DAYS on this.

Karl

Â*Get used to it. Apple was that way for years.

You cannot run 16 0r 32 bit programs on a 64 bit OS.
Â*You CAN run a 32 bit OS as a VM - which will get you by for MOST
programs - but not all - and it depends what VM you use.

Â*I used Hyper V for a while and loved it - then got forced into
switching toVM-Ware. What an ignorant, brain-dead OS THAT is in
comparison to the Microsoft product!!!!!- Hide quoted text -

???? I've got Win7 64-bit set up as a media center machine, runs all
the XP 32-bit video editing programs I have plus a bunch of other
stuff I've tried. What it won't do is use 32-bit DRIVERS or old XP
drivers. Vista drivers mostly work. Also did away with DOS-mode
commands, uses a different command line and batch mode handler now.
I'm not using the thing as a game box or for other stuff, though, an
XP install does all that other stuff on another box. Seems fussy
about hardware, too, had to swap from a Zotac MB to a Gigabyte to get
AHCI running so I could hot-swap SATA drives. Sometimes Intel
chipsets just work better.

Stan

You generally don't go wrong using Intel products - and the rule of
thumb with Win7 - and particularly 7-64 - is if it is not on the
compatibility list, it is NOT. Period.

I did make one mistake. I forgot to put in you cannot run SOME 16 or
32 bit programs on a 64 bit OS - and also you cannot run 64 bit
programs on a 16 or 32 bit OS - which is what I really MEANT to say.