Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl[_2_] axolotl[_2_] is offline

Default Elementary hydraulic questions

I brought home a Blackhawk "Porto Power" hydraulic hand pump with a set
of spreading jaws from yesterday's Cabin Fever. I would place the
manufacturing date as perhaps the 40's.
The rehab process brings up some questions:

The pump output port is connected to a 4" length of what appears to be
plain 3/8" iron pipe. This pipe connects to what appears to be a plain
iron union (?), with a reducing bushing for the hose on the other side
of the union. Are plain iron pipe fittings acceptable for high pressure
hydraulic use, or is this a kluge? (For my uses the pipe/union are
coming off.)

This style of pump is sold as a "10 Ton" pump. The piston on the jaws
appears to have an internal diameter of 1.5", so it would appear that I
would have to put 11000+ pounds of pressure on the fluid to get 10 Tons
at the piston. Pressure fittings and hoses for this use do not have that
high of a pressure rating. What am I missing?

thanks,

Kevin Gallimore