Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default Abate Holding Your Breath...Thompson's Design

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 11:25:07 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Here you go...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Bi...ubSwitcher.pdf

I figure, if you had a mind to, you could add regulation by running
this dude in burst mode, by stopping the 555 via its RESETbar input.

Diode D7 prevents some really weird behavior from back conduction. If
there were a need to tighten up the efficiency, I'd replace it with
another P-channel, body in the opposite direction from MP1 (for lack
of finding a suitable transistor, modeled as a 0.3 Ohm device
extrapolated from my vast CMOS device library :-). Then I'd use a
comparator to make the drop like a near ideal diode as in...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Pe...rIsolation.pdf

My experiments with using an auto-transformer would indicate that the
current capability of the hub dynamo (at least as presently modeled...
I'm suspicious of its accuracy)) falls off rapidly, almost acting like
a (near) constant power device.

I'd ask one of the local "pansies in spandex" to make experiments with
their hub dynamos, but I'm their enemy for suggesting publicly that
they should be required to be licensed, and be fined when they go
riding three-abreast down the middle of a thoroughfare, rather than
single-file in the bicycle lane :-)

...Jim Thompson

Good grief, this is just a fixed-duty-cycle nonregulating buck
switcher. I suggested this architecture days ago.

The 555 drains the battery all the time. If it doesn't, it won't start
up. And there's probably ways to blow out the gate of the p-fet, which
would take out the n-fet as a bonus. Amateur stuff.

You spent four days on *this* ?

John