Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default gummer dweeber - no military service

On 1/15/2012 9:17 AM, Steve B wrote:
The informal consensus in Mensa was to omit membership from the resume.
The
non-technical Human Resources (et.al.) personnel in a hi-tech company
could be envious and defensive and needed to be treated carefully.

jsw

From my experiences, Mensa members were a coin flip as to whether their
socks matched.

Mensa is about the most pointless organization (after the Congressional
Black Caucus) I've ever known. Everyone I've ever known who admitted to
being in it was freakishly weird. Mensa membership is predicated purely
on raw IQ. That's like evaluating a car based purely on horsepower.
The heap might not even be operable due to all manner of other defects,
but by golly, it puts out 500 horsepower, so it /must/ be good. NOT.

I've known a good number of high IQ people who never achieved much (in
no small part because they thought rewards were simply dished out on the
basis of high IQ itself), and I've known people who didn't seem to be of
especially high intelligence but who had tremendous drive and a great
work ethic who achieved a lot.

High IQ by itself doesn't mean much if you don't use it, or if your
character is ****.