Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Barry Barry is offline

Default Pressing paint between coats - clean alternative to sanding?

On Jan 15, 7:51*am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:

You don't say what the specific requirements are, but I think you hinted at
outdoor equipment.

Almost any time one takes on projects requiring coatings for corrosion
resistance, they expose themselves to stuff they'd be better off avoiding...

Indoor steel shelf. I think it looks like something for an office or
garage, but since I make them I may try selling them at craft shows. I
may eventually claim that no electricity was used in its construction
so it will appeal to environmentalist types, who would also care about
the coating toxicity.

I was thinking of using http://tinyurl.com/7ucys5h (MetalCoat) as a
primer and http://tinyurl.com/7nu34an (Mythic Classic) over it. The
primer instructions say:

"All surfaces must be clean,
dry, free from grease, dirt, rust, mill scale and any other
foreign matter. Surfaces must be very clean and
neutralized for this product to be effective. New
galvanized should be cleaned with an acetic acid or
phosphoric acid wash and rinsed. Rust and mill scale
must be removed with power steel brushing or
sandblasting. All other foreign matter must be cleaned
with a solvent wash and dried thoroughly before painting.
Dull glossy surfaces and remove dust."

It's so much easier to find galvanized sheet metal near me than plain
steel that I may use the acetic acid or phosphoric acid.