Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Pressing paint between coats - clean alternative to sanding?

Many corrosion-preventive coatings and refinishing products can be recoated
without abrading/scuffing between applications if applied at specified
intervals.

Pressing sandpaper into a drying finish isn't the same as scuffing for
bonding/adhesion of additional applications.

You don't say what the specific requirements are, but I think you hinted at
outdoor equipment.

Almost any time one takes on projects requiring coatings for corrosion
resistance, they expose themselves to stuff they'd be better off avoiding..
dust, chemicals, fumes etc.
Proper surface preparation for most coatings is paramount, where minimal
effort generally results in wasted time and expense.

There are acids and treatment products which clean and/or etch metals more
effectively than sanding.
Pressing abrasive against metal isn't effective at breaking or removing
surface oxide or capable of much of anything in the way of surface prep.

You may benefit from reading some refinishing literature/guides provided by
paint/coatings manufacturers, which often include the reasons for various
steps involved in proper surface prep, and the features of specific products
they offer to meet the requirements of different conditions.

Have a look at POR products.
Also, there are additives for paint products to enhance adhesion when
applied over old or weathered finishes if they're fairly clean.

--
WB

"Barry" wrote in message
I'm just throwing this out for comments. I'm thinking of putting a
sheet of fine sandpaper on my painted surface between coats and going
over it with a roller so I don't have to worry about cleaning up or
inhaling dust. I'm also thinking about degreasing plain steel with
dish soap and rolling the sandpaper over it even before the first
coat, though wet sanding is pretty dust free, so I may wet sand. Maybe
coarse sandpaper that I reposition a few times is better for this.