Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Snowblower engine "misses" and fires not consistently

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:36:41 -0600, Ignoramus16789
wrote:

Dragged out my snowblower and I noticed that it skips ignitions and
does not "fire" every time. What could possibly account for this?

How old is the gas? Has it been stored under cover, in the dry, or in
damp where water could get into gas. First step is drain any old gas
and put in fresh gas of lowest ethanol content you can find.
Good idea to drain the carb float bowl too and make sure it is clean.
If the carb is gummed up it will usually run lean - and a lean blower
engine will "hunt". Turn the mixture screw out until it settles down
(usually 1/4 turn or so) and put a cleaner in the gas. I'm partial to
SeaFoam, but MMO has been reported to give good results too - likely
take a bit longer from my experience, and a can of SeaFoam and a
bottle of MMO are about the same price, Once the cleaner has done
it's thing you can turn the screw back in to the proper mix.