Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Save the whales! Or the Christians?

On Jan 13, 7:16*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On Jan 12, 12:27 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Oren wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 05:44:28 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I always liked:

"Lord our Father, our young patriots, idols of our hearts, go forth
into battle -- be Thou near them! With them -- in spirit -- we also
go forth from the sweet peace of our beloved firesides to smite the
foe. O Lord our God, help us tear their soldiers to bloody shreds
with our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the
pale forms of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of
the guns with the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help
us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help
us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing
grief; help us to turn them out roofless with their little
children to wander unfriended in the wastes of their desolated
land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames in
summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in spirit, worn with
travail, imploring thee for the refuge of the grave and denied it
--

"For our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight
their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimmage, make heavy their

Amen.

Is this Gen. George Patton? 3rd Army....

No, it's the "War Prayer" by Mark Twain.- Hide quoted text -

Now how did I miss that? * I am a great fan of his and somehow didn't
recognize the quote.

Harry K

Well, it does have the word "prayer" in the title.- Hide quoted text -

Oh! Well then I will take 1 second out to "respect" it.

Harry K