Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Backer board question

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:13:32 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jan 12, 8:49Â*am, Pointer wrote:
On 1/12/2012 9:45 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

I'm confused, I hope you can set me straight on something.
Here goes:

I'm finally pulling the trigger on renovating my bathroom.
It's just as much fun as I remember. The previous remodel
has me leery of having a contractor do the tile job, so I
went to a tile place.

The guy is telling me that they are not sheetrock installers.
Check.

But they need to put backer board around the tub area and
it needs to extend past the current tile where there is
now just painted wall, to reach a stud. Check.

This is where I don't follow and I should have gotten him
to explain.

Why can't I (or a sheetrock guy) just tape the seam where the
backer board and the sheetrock meet? Is backer board thicker
or thinner than the green board that's already up?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

nancy

The joint needs the support of the stud to avoid cracking at the seam.- Hide quoted text -

But if the joint is taped with one of the fibreglass mesh tapes, won't
that be sufficient?

Never.

The other solution is backer board to the stud and a good mud job,
with setting type compound, between the tile line and the existing
drywall. A good drywall guy can do it - but as the tile guy said, they
are not drywall guys.
The OP will need both a GOOD tile guy and a GOOD drywall guy /
mudder-taper.