Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default hardening soft wood

Okay, I had a response to this query in a recent post of mine, and the reply
was the use of thin CYA, which has also been mentioned in other posts on this
board.
Cyanoacrylate or super glue has lots of uses, but tends to be a bit spendy, I
think - at least in the itty-bitty tubes I've used in the past. I've used it
for closing cuts and protecting blisters and fixing busted figurines. Works
good. Many swear by the thin stuff for working spalted wood - with the caveat
that the soaking be done in a well ventilated area account of the fumes.

Okay, I did a little strolling around the web and came up with a few other
methods of home processes for soft or punky wood.
Soaking in thinned lacquer
Soaking in thinned shellac
Use of thin CYA
Soaking in thinned Polycryl
Soaking or slathering with Pentacryl

I looked at a few MSDS (material safety data sheets) for the -cryl items and
got varying results, regarding toxicities and nastiness. One thiing the
various products had in common was that they were various forms of acrylate
polymers. Okay, that and a cup of coffee will get me a cup of coffee.

For my preferences, I'm tempted to give serious consideration to the polycryl
and pentacryl products. They seem to have a great shelf life and are a bit
more user friendly, compared to the CYA.

The questions then, are -
Have any of you used any of these various products?
Which ones, and how did you like them?

Interesting side notes on CYA or superglue... when mixed with baking soda, it
is used as a filler in some model making projects, but it releases a lot of
heat, and some caution is called for. Even more interesting, when superglue
is accidentally mixed with cotton fabric (like wiping rags or cotton gloves),
a LOT of heat is released, and even more caution is called for. Various
superglue compounds have been used for repairs to bone and skin and turtle
shells and of course is recognized as loctite in its various colors for
securing threaded items.

Thanks for your time. Eagerly awaiting input, now.

tom koehler
--
I will find a way or make one.