Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default hardening soft wood

Okay, I had a response to this query in a recent post of mine, and the reply
was the use of thin CYA, which has also been mentioned in other posts on this
board.
Cyanoacrylate or super glue has lots of uses, but tends to be a bit spendy, I
think - at least in the itty-bitty tubes I've used in the past. I've used it
for closing cuts and protecting blisters and fixing busted figurines. Works
good. Many swear by the thin stuff for working spalted wood - with the caveat
that the soaking be done in a well ventilated area account of the fumes.

Okay, I did a little strolling around the web and came up with a few other
methods of home processes for soft or punky wood.
Soaking in thinned lacquer
Soaking in thinned shellac
Use of thin CYA
Soaking in thinned Polycryl
Soaking or slathering with Pentacryl

I looked at a few MSDS (material safety data sheets) for the -cryl items and
got varying results, regarding toxicities and nastiness. One thiing the
various products had in common was that they were various forms of acrylate
polymers. Okay, that and a cup of coffee will get me a cup of coffee.

For my preferences, I'm tempted to give serious consideration to the polycryl
and pentacryl products. They seem to have a great shelf life and are a bit
more user friendly, compared to the CYA.

The questions then, are -
Have any of you used any of these various products?
Which ones, and how did you like them?

Interesting side notes on CYA or superglue... when mixed with baking soda, it
is used as a filler in some model making projects, but it releases a lot of
heat, and some caution is called for. Even more interesting, when superglue
is accidentally mixed with cotton fabric (like wiping rags or cotton gloves),
a LOT of heat is released, and even more caution is called for. Various
superglue compounds have been used for repairs to bone and skin and turtle
shells and of course is recognized as loctite in its various colors for
securing threaded items.

Thanks for your time. Eagerly awaiting input, now.

tom koehler
--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article . net,
tom koehler wrote:

Thanks for your time. Eagerly awaiting input, now.

Minwax Woodhardener has been useful for me

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 1/12/2012 6:15 PM, tom koehler wrote:
[...]

tom - I don't get the "very spendy" - I buy CA glue in 16 oz bottles for
around $25 if memory serves. You can use thin epoxy too, there is an
ebay vendor that sells that stuff who is in San Bernadino - I have used
his epoxy to strengthen some weakened wood for a car body, but I didn't
use it on wood turning. Of course CA glue bought for $5 per drop in
those little tubes is expensive, don't do that. There are many web
sellers of the stuff, even in 80 gallon drums.

Starbond sells in small quantities
http://www.ptscoshop.com/starbond_cy...uper_glue).htm
SCAEM0002016

One 16oz Bottle $36.00 ea

this place
http://woodenwonderstx.com/ZC_Wooden...b51d8dcf8c0f64
is under $30 for 16 oz

just look around.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 0:08:13 -0600, Ralph E Lindberg wrote
(in message ):

In article . net,
tom koehler wrote:

Thanks for your time. Eagerly awaiting input, now.

Minwax Woodhardener has been useful for me

Thank you.
tom

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 1:11:24 -0600, Bill wrote
(in message ):

tom - I don't get the "very spendy" - I buy CA glue in 16 oz bottles for
around $25 if memory serves. You can use thin epoxy too, there is an
ebay vendor that sells that stuff who is in San Bernadino - I have used
his epoxy to strengthen some weakened wood for a car body, but I didn't
use it on wood turning. Of course CA glue bought for $5 per drop in
those little tubes is expensive, don't do that. There are many web
sellers of the stuff, even in 80 gallon drums.

Starbond sells in small quantities
http://www.ptscoshop.com/starbond_cy...uper_glue).htm
SCAEM0002016

One 16oz Bottle $36.00 ea

this place
http://woodenwonderstx.com/ZC_Wooden...=index&cPath=1
&zenid=e3e808a4b9f3da2eb7b51d8dcf8c0f64
is under $30 for 16 oz

just look around.

Thank you for setting me straight on the price issue, for CYA.
tom

--
I will find a way or make one.

Hardening Soft Pine Gary Brown Woodworking 9 December 7th 07 04:37 AM
Soft Wood Woodborg Woodturning 5 November 14th 05 12:54 AM
Hardening of punky wood? JRJohnson Woodturning 18 June 12th 05 01:49 AM
soft wood conditioner david thorpe UK diy 6 April 12th 05 08:08 PM
Wood Movement: Case hardening vs moisture change Joe C. Woodworking 0 March 12th 05 04:39 PM