Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Finding/Locating sewer line under basement floor

Baron wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message
I own a property that has a cast iron sewer line that runs under the
basement floor, and I want to be able to mark out and locate where
it runs under the basement floor. I know that I could hire a
company to come out and do that, but I am wondering if there are any
fairly cheap, creative, and
interesting/fun ways for me to try to locate the line myself.

For example, is there some kind of small signal generator that I
could attach to a sewer line snake and detect the signal from above
with some type
of detector? -- maybe something that Radio Shack or some electronics
store might sell?

Or, are there relatively inexpensive underground pipe-locating
devices that
I could rent somewhere and do the job?

Would a metal detector be able to detect a cast iron pipe under a
concrete floor (assuming that the pipe is not down very far below
the floor?

I had a problem with my sewer line where the line had to be located
under a concrete garage floor. A plumber used a piece of wood placed
between his ear and floor to help amplify the sound. He then had his
partner tap in various places on the floor and also run some water
down a drain. Apparently, between those two tests, he was able to
locate the pipe confidently but not perfectly. He also ran a snake
down a clearout and measured how much was being fed as well as
detecting any noise. I suspect you can use a stethoscope instead of
a piece of wood.
Good Luck.

I'll have to try the stethoscope idea. I can't picture it actually working
too well, but I happen to have a stethoscope, so I'll try it and post back
how well it worked out.