Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default Backer board question

On Jan 12, 9:45*am, Nancy Young replyto@inemail wrote:
I'm confused, I hope you can set me straight on something.
Here goes:

I'm finally pulling the trigger on renovating my bathroom.
It's just as much fun as I remember. *The previous remodel
has me leery of having a contractor do the tile job, so I
went to a tile place.

The guy is telling me that they are not sheetrock installers.
Check.

But they need to put backer board around the tub area and
it needs to extend past the current tile where there is
now just painted wall, to reach a stud. *Check.

This is where I don't follow and I should have gotten him
to explain.

Why can't I (or a sheetrock guy) just tape the seam where the
backer board and the sheetrock meet? *Is backer board thicker
or thinner than the green board that's already up?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

nancy

When you have your bathroom gutted have studs put in where you want
the tile to end. The backer board and tile will both get screwed to
this stud. When the tile is installed it is cemented to the backer
board but the edge of it overlays the drywall. Trying to mud/tape to
the edge of the tile will give whoever is taping the drywall a
difficult task.

When tubs were installed years ago most tile jobs were just installed
on the drywall so it didn't matter where the studs were. In a remodel
adding two studs at the edge of the tub or where ever you want your
tile to end is an insignificant cost.

Just keep in mind that if you decide on a narrow bullnose tile to
terminate the tile run that could make things more difficult.