Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Finding/Locating sewer line under basement floor

On Jan 11, 2:32*pm, Ted tedjackson@compuserve.... wrote:
On 1/11/2012 2:19 PM, Limp Arbor wrote:

Simple:

"Many dowsers today use a pair of simple L-shaped metal rods. One rod
is held in each hand, with the short arm of the L held upright, and
the long arm pointing forward. When something is found, the rods cross
over one another making an "X" over the found object. If the object is
long and straight, such as a water pipe, the rods will point in
opposite directions, showing its orientation."

from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing

LOL! Dowsers are as full of **** as a Christmas goose.

If you know someone that can successfully dowse, tell them they can make
a quick million at:

http://www.randi.org/library/dowsing/

Don't know about 'dowser', but my father used to use those L shaped
thingies to find buried wires/cables/pipes BEFORE he would start any
construction. He could never count on the company's/county's records.
During mid school age after finding them hanging in our garage and
receiving a demonstration of how to use them from my father, I used
the L thingies to map everything I could find in our back yard. I
found all the pipes, even the underground stream that fed our well.
Just a child's project resulting in a map drawn to scale, Father very
impressed.

Explanation for why the L thingies work? Don't know, don't care. They
work. The wires definitely 'feel' like they're tugging at each other
when they cross. Possibly, and I am coming to more believe this, a
human being has more capabilities than thought, and distracting the
mind with weird items 'releases' those abilities, removes
distractions, disbelief, if you will. Always keep in mind that
science DESCRIBES our observations. Science does not DEFINE our
observations.