Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Finding/Locating sewer line under basement floor

Joe wrote:
On Jan 11, 12:04 pm, "Ron" wrote:
I own a property that has a cast iron sewer line that runs under the
basement floor, and I want to be able to mark out and locate where
it runs under the basement floor. I know that I could hire a company
to come out and do that, but I am wondering if there are any fairly
cheap, creative, and interesting/fun ways for me to try to locate
the line myself.

For example, is there some kind of small signal generator that I
could attach to a sewer line snake and detect the signal from above
with some type of detector? -- maybe something that Radio Shack or
some electronics store might sell?

Or, are there relatively inexpensive underground pipe-locating
devices that I could rent somewhere and do the job?

Would a metal detector be able to detect a cast iron pipe under a
concrete floor (assuming that the pipe is not down very far below
the floor?

First try tracing it with a simple magnetic compass.

Thanks, but I am not sure how a "magnetic compass" would work.

If that is not as
effective as you need, rent a regular plumbers device.

I am also not sure where I would rent whatever a regular plumbers device is.

You could also
borrow (or buy) a metal detector which will do the job.

That may work. I wonder if anyone here has ever tried that since I have no
experience with using any metal detectors. Maybe I'll try searching to see
if the are metal detector websites and/or forums where I can get more info
on how well a metal detector may work for this.