Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3 phases 6 wires - THE ANSWER

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I have a Leland 6273 3 phase 240 V motor I am trying to figure out how to
hook up.

It has 6 black wires coming out of the motor.

It also has 2 much smaller brown wires coming out that were just tied out
of
the way to the lifting ring. I suspect those were for a tach or possible
heat sensor.

It just has paper labels on the black wires, and they look like they were
put on by somebody who tried to figure out the motor in the past. They do
not match up with any of the three phase wiring numbers/ letters standards
I've been able to find. I want to hook it to a VFD for testing. Since
the
data plate says it will operate from 6-130 HZ and lists a range of RPM
from
96 to 3680 that tells me was probably intended to operate off of VFD in
the
first place.

Is there any practical way using a meter to determine which wires to pair
up
to connect to 3 connections on the VFD?

Ok... I got it figured out. Mostly... Its got an independent fan motor.
Doh! Had I been a bit more observant I would have seen that myself, but a
couple guys in this group pointed out the possibility, and commented on the
probability because a motor turning only 96 RPM at 3 Hz can't possibly be
turning a fan fast enough to cool itself.

It was easy enough to check. I spun the fan and held the brake disc on the
motor with my other hand. Wheeeeeeee!!!

It has six primary leads because there are two motors.

I suspect the 2 smallish brown wires are a thermal sensor. Not sure I can
test it except maybe... to wire up the motor and not the fan motor. LOL.

Life just got easier... if the motor works now.

Thanks guys.