Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Horizontal Mill Swarf Shields

Pete Keillor wrote:

Thanks for the input, Jon. I was trying to say conventional doesn't
seem to recut chips on a horizontal as much as I'd suspect an end mill
in a pocket would. Gunner disagreed. I also said I wouldn't try climb
milling on a bet on this mill, because the leadscrew is way too worn.
As a matter of fact, the acme thread looks like a sharp v on top in
the middle of the screw. Screw and nuts need replacing bad, and will
be.

Oh, MY! Yes, that's pretty bad wear. Also, a lot of differential
wear makes measuring off the screw pretty inaccurate, less a problem
on the X axis of a horizontal, but sometimes you need to stop at a
particular spot.

Yes, I pretty much agree with Gunner, climb really improves surface finish,
especially on Aluminum, and also helps protect the cutting edges.
With conventional, the tooth slides across the just-cut surface until
the pressure increases enough to punch through and start cutting.
With climb, the tooth hits the un-cut edge and immediately plunges
into the cut. This causes less wear. It also cleanly slices any
chips that spun around on the cutter.

Jon