Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default OT way OT but GOOD for Mom!

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 10:25:10 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/5/2012 8:21 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
On 1/5/2012 7:33 AM, Leon wrote:
http://gma.yahoo.com/video/news-2679...-27777235.html

It doesn't sound good for mom to me. Granted she
defended herself, but now she has killed somebody.
The guy may have needed it, but I suspect that she
is pretty much traumatized over it. She certainly
didn't look very happy on the news last night.

Horse****!

1,000:1 odds that Bill does -not- own a gun?

There are other possibilities... One is that he decided he couldn't or
wouldn't be able to defend himself with a gun and he projects that personal
decision on others. Freedom of choice... that's fine. Making it policy is
another issue. Alternatively, he may not have ever been in a position that
led him to really ponder the situation. Sort of along the lines of the old
joke about a Conservative being a Liberal who was mugged... though a strong
argument has been made by some of my associates that Liberals are
Conservatives who have had to deal with the police. I can appreciate that
the use of force is not for everyone. I know too many women who were
forcibly raped, one of them twice, and despite that most of them would never
be able to shoot someone. That is a reality that many may not understand but
maybe they should accept...

There is widespread misinformation about the use of force and deadly
physical force. If you carry or otherwise maintain a gun for self defense it
would behoove you to take a comprehensive course on those issues. In NY it
would revolve around P.L. article 35.

Google "Grossbohlin Chan" for articles my associates and I wrote, and
articles I critiqued as early drafts, on these issues many years ago. Gary
Kleck, Don Kates and John Lott have good summary books/articles and Ed Suter
caused quite a stir with his article on the anti-gun articles in the medical
literature. As I recall I have Gary's summary of his seminal book Point
Blank on Jeff Chan's site. I'm sure Ed's article is there.

It's a complex issue... bumper stickers don't cover it!

John