Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default OT way OT but GOOD for Mom!

"CW" wrote in
:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Han wrote:

I must admit that I'm not sure whether she or her baby was indeed
under real imminent threat of being harmed, and I did live in Mass.
when there was a case of a woman fleeing into her basement during a
home invasion, and killing the guy who ccame down after her. She was
acquitted, I believe, because there was no secondary exit through
which she could have fled. Had there been another exit from the
basement, she should have used that.

## Yes, in some jurisdictions you MUST retreat. Many states, however,
have recently passed laws implementing the "Castle Doctrine," which
presumes an intruder means grievous bodily harm. Killing said intruder
is not only justifiable homicide, but NO civil liability can attach.
That is you cannot be sued by the asshole's relatives. Some states
have gone farther (like mine) and implemented a "Stand Your Ground"
standard. That is, you may respond with deadly force wherever you have
a lawful right to be: in your bedroom, in your car, on the sidewalk,
at the mall, wherever.

What's been overlooked in this sorry episode is that she was on the
'phone to 911 for 21 minutes. I can't imagine any urban jurisdiction
where it would take the cops more than five minutes to respond to a
"home invasion in progress" call.

Not sure where she was in relation to emergency services, or how
rural and diispersed the area is, but that seems indeed a bit
strange. When I broke my arm on July 4th a few years back, police and
ambulance were in my back yard in minutes.

Why would the police respond to a broken-leg / medical call? Did you
inform the dispatcher that some stink-eye broke your leg and is
roaming the neighborhood with a baseball bat?
The last time (only time) I broke my leg, the police were first on the
scene. Of course, I was laying in the middle of an intersection.

It is usual here (Bergen county, NJ) that police (municipal in my case)
get to the scene first, since they are patrolling on duty. Ambulance and
fire are volunteers (doing a GREAT job!!), but with a longer response
time.

I made a mistake cutting a low branch off a dogwood, and fell off a
ladder, backwards. Very stupid, and very lucky it wasn't worse.

--
Best regards
Han