Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Gill Bill Gill is offline

Default OT way OT but GOOD for Mom!

On 1/5/2012 12:31 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Swingman" wrote ...
On 1/5/2012 8:21 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
On 1/5/2012 7:33 AM, Leon wrote:
http://gma.yahoo.com/video/news-2679...-27777235.html

It doesn't sound good for mom to me. Granted she
defended herself, but now she has killed somebody.
The guy may have needed it, but I suspect that she
is pretty much traumatized over it. She certainly
didn't look very happy on the news last night.

Horse****!

Agreed.

There is all kinds of trauma. Her husband had died a few days earlier.
What kind of trauma would have happened to her and her babies if she did
not shoot him? Also. what if some politically correct prosecutor came
after her? Some self defense victims are ruined financially with having
to defend their actions. That would certainly be traumatic.

Also, she in no way did anything aggressive or reckless. She hid for 21
minutes, talking to 911 before she shot the guy. All the time protecting
her child. How many times have we heard about some idiot who lost it and
somebody died because they did not do the right thing and act in a
manner that protected life. She did the exact right thing. And for that,
she should be proud of herself. She was a mamma bear protecting her cub.
I am certain that any other kind of response (or non response) would be
terribly traumatic. Not only for her, but for every one who knew her.
Again, she did the right thing.

The other point that nobody wants to talk about is that she is a woman.
I taught self defense classes to women over 40 years ago. Long before it
became socially acceptable to do such things. There is tremendous
pressure on women in general to be a victim. Don't fight back, don't
make a scene, etc. Not only is this demeaning to women, but it is a
green light to any kind of whacko or criminal to prey on "helpless"
women. Like the bumper sticker says, "Nobody Ever Raped A .38".

Having directly dealt with a large number of women who were assaulted, I
can tell you that hurting somebody else is far preferable to being a
victim. The women I worked with fell into two categories. Those who
wanted to move on and were willing to do whatever to see that this sort
of thing never occurred again. The other category was much more tragic.
These poor women basically crawled into a paranoid hole and never came
out again. They became recluses, depressed, etc. I think today, there
would be more support for them. But the fact is that a large number of
victims never live normal lives again.

Whatever trauma occurs as a result of defending yourself, it simply does
not compare to the alternative. And I know that it is a cornerstone of
liberal philosophy to create more victims and disarm the populace.
Apparently creating safe working conditions for criminals has a higher
social purpose. This woman did exactly the right thing. She should be
commended and rewarded in some fashion. Certainly she should be given
some support of some kind. If more women were like her, there would be
less problems in this country.

And as for the poor misunderstood home invaders, that is simple. Just
use them for target practice. It is like those morons who hang a sign
outside of their house, "gun free zone". They get robbed pretty quickly.
They take the sign down. Criminal are safety conscious. It would be
better for every one to created DANGEROUS working conditions for criminals.

End of rant.

You are right, but it is still a tragedy for her. She just lost her
husband and has had no time to even start recovering from that, and
now she has the knowledge that she has killed a man on top of that.
She did the right thing, but it is still a big tragedy to have that
piled on top of her already huge load.

Bill