Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default OT way OT but GOOD for Mom!

Han wrote in
:

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
b.com:

"Swingman" wrote ...
On 1/5/2012 8:21 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
On 1/5/2012 7:33 AM, Leon wrote:
http://gma.yahoo.com/video/news-2679...her-18-kills-i
truder-breaking-into-her-home-while-on-phone-with-911-27777235.html

It doesn't sound good for mom to me. Granted she
defended herself, but now she has killed somebody.
The guy may have needed it, but I suspect that she
is pretty much traumatized over it. She certainly
didn't look very happy on the news last night.

Horse****!

Agreed.

There is all kinds of trauma. Her husband had died a few days
earlier. What kind of trauma would have happened to her and her
babies if she did not shoot him? Also. what if some politically
correct prosecutor came after her? Some self defense victims are
ruined financially with having to defend their actions. That would
certainly be traumatic.

Also, she in no way did anything aggressive or reckless. She hid for
21 minutes, talking to 911 before she shot the guy. All the time
protecting her child. How many times have we heard about some idiot
who lost it and somebody died because they did not do the right thing
and act in a manner that protected life. She did the exact right
thing. And for that, she should be proud of herself. She was a
mamma bear protecting her cub. I am certain that any other kind of
response (or non response) would be terribly traumatic. Not only for
her, but for every one who knew her. Again, she did the right thing.

The other point that nobody wants to talk about is that she is a
woman. I taught self defense classes to women over 40 years ago.
Long before it became socially acceptable to do such things. There
is tremendous pressure on women in general to be a victim. Don't
fight back, don't make a scene, etc. Not only is this demeaning to
women, but it is a green light to any kind of whacko or criminal to
prey on "helpless" women. Like the bumper sticker says, "Nobody Ever
Raped A .38".

Having directly dealt with a large number of women who were
assaulted, I can tell you that hurting somebody else is far
preferable to being a victim. The women I worked with fell into two
categories. Those who wanted to move on and were willing to do
whatever to see that this sort of thing never occurred again. The
other category was much more tragic. These poor women basically
crawled into a paranoid hole and never came out again. They became
recluses, depressed, etc. I think today, there would be more support
for them. But the fact is that a large number of victims never live
normal lives again.

Whatever trauma occurs as a result of defending yourself, it simply
does not compare to the alternative. And I know that it is a
cornerstone of liberal philosophy to create more victims and disarm
the populace. Apparently creating safe working conditions for
criminals has a higher social purpose. This woman did exactly the
right thing. She should be commended and rewarded in some fashion.
Certainly she should be given some support of some kind. If more
women were like her, there would be less problems in this country.

And as for the poor misunderstood home invaders, that is simple.
Just use them for target practice. It is like those morons who hang
a sign outside of their house, "gun free zone". They get robbed
pretty quickly. They take the sign down. Criminal are safety
conscious. It would be better for every one to created DANGEROUS
working conditions for criminals.

End of rant.

I'm a liberal. I am in favor of registration of firearms, and
licensing people for the use of them.

This lady did the right thing, and (I believe) has the 911 tapes to
prove it. Because she had a baby, and was in her home, she had and
has the right to defend herself against a perp like this. While it
must be traumatic to know she killed a human being, that human being
didn't live according to the rules. End of story. Kudos to the lady
and I hope she can get on with her life as best she can as soon as she
can.

Also, this was posted on FB by a friend, and I'll repost it here. I hope
this lady has some friends who will act on this to help her out:

1. I am not strong. I'm just numb. When you tell me I'm strong, I feel
you don't see ...me.
2. I will not recover. This is not a cold or the flu. I'm not sick. I'm
grieving and that's different. I will not always be grievi...ng as
intensely, but I will never forget my loved one. Rather than recover, I
want to incorporate her life and love into the rest of my life. That
person is a part of me and always will be, and sometimes I remember him
with joy and other times with tears. Both are ok.
3. I don't have to accept the death. Yes, I have to understand that it
has happened and it is real, but there are just some things in life that
are not acceptable.
4. Please don't avoid me. You can't catch my grief. My world is painful,
and when you are too afraid to call me or visit or say anything, you
isolate me at a time when I most need to be care about. If you don't know
what to say, just come over, give me a hug or touch my arms, and gently
say, "I'm sorry." You can even say, "I just don't know what to say, but I
care, and want you to know that."
5. Please don't call to complain about your husband, your wife, or your
children. Right now, I'd be delighted to have my loved one here, no
matter what they were doing.
6. Please don’t say, “Call me if you need anything.” I’ll never call you
because I have no idea what I need. Trying to figure out what you could
do for me takes more energy than I have. So, in advance, let me give you
some ideas:
a. Bring food
b. Offer to take my children to a movie or game so I have some moments to
myself
c. Send me a card on special holidays, birthdays (mine, his or hers), or
the anniversary of his death and make sure you mention his or her name.
You can’t make me cry. The tears are here and I will love you for giving
me the opportunity to shed them because someone cared enough about me to
reach out on this difficult day.
d. Ask me more than once to join you at the movies or lunch. I may say
“no” at first or even for a while, but please don’t give up on me because
somewhere down the line, I may be ready, and if you’ve given up then I
really will be alone.
7. Try to understand that this is like I’m in a foreign country where I
don’t speak the language and have no map to tell me what to do. Even if
there were a map, I’m not sure I could understand what it was saying. I’m
lost and in a fog. I’m confused
8. When you tell me what I should be doing, then I feel even more lost
and alone. I feel bad enough that my loved one is dead, so please don’t
make it worse by telling me I’m not doing this right.
9. Please don’t tell me that I can have other children or need to start
dating again. I’m not ready. And maybe I don’t want to. And besides, what
makes you think people are replaceable? They aren’t. Whoever comes after
will always be someone different.
10. I don’t even understand what you mean when you say, “You’ve got to
get on with your life.” My life is going on, but it may not look the way
you think it should. This will take time and I never will be my old self
again. So please just love me as I am today, and know, that with your
love and support, the joy will slowly return to my life. But I will never
forget – and there will always be times that I cry. · This is a reprint
from a High school friend who lost her son years ago but had to let
everyone know how grief affects those who lose someone close. It is a
good primer on what not to say to those who grieve. My heart goes out to
Nanette and hope she does find solice in knowing that we all care and
understand!

--
Best regards
Han