Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default OT way OT but GOOD for Mom!

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
b.com:

"Swingman" wrote ...
On 1/5/2012 8:21 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
On 1/5/2012 7:33 AM, Leon wrote:
http://gma.yahoo.com/video/news-2679...er-18-kills-in
truder-breaking-into-her-home-while-on-phone-with-911-27777235.html

It doesn't sound good for mom to me. Granted she
defended herself, but now she has killed somebody.
The guy may have needed it, but I suspect that she
is pretty much traumatized over it. She certainly
didn't look very happy on the news last night.

Horse****!

Agreed.

There is all kinds of trauma. Her husband had died a few days
earlier. What kind of trauma would have happened to her and her babies
if she did not shoot him? Also. what if some politically correct
prosecutor came after her? Some self defense victims are ruined
financially with having to defend their actions. That would certainly
be traumatic.

Also, she in no way did anything aggressive or reckless. She hid for
21 minutes, talking to 911 before she shot the guy. All the time
protecting her child. How many times have we heard about some idiot
who lost it and somebody died because they did not do the right thing
and act in a manner that protected life. She did the exact right
thing. And for that, she should be proud of herself. She was a mamma
bear protecting her cub. I am certain that any other kind of response
(or non response) would be terribly traumatic. Not only for her, but
for every one who knew her. Again, she did the right thing.

The other point that nobody wants to talk about is that she is a
woman. I taught self defense classes to women over 40 years ago.
Long before it became socially acceptable to do such things. There is
tremendous pressure on women in general to be a victim. Don't fight
back, don't make a scene, etc. Not only is this demeaning to women,
but it is a green light to any kind of whacko or criminal to prey on
"helpless" women. Like the bumper sticker says, "Nobody Ever Raped A
.38".

Having directly dealt with a large number of women who were assaulted,
I can tell you that hurting somebody else is far preferable to being a
victim. The women I worked with fell into two categories. Those who
wanted to move on and were willing to do whatever to see that this
sort of thing never occurred again. The other category was much more
tragic. These poor women basically crawled into a paranoid hole and
never came out again. They became recluses, depressed, etc. I think
today, there would be more support for them. But the fact is that a
large number of victims never live normal lives again.

Whatever trauma occurs as a result of defending yourself, it simply
does not compare to the alternative. And I know that it is a
cornerstone of liberal philosophy to create more victims and disarm
the populace. Apparently creating safe working conditions for
criminals has a higher social purpose. This woman did exactly the
right thing. She should be commended and rewarded in some fashion.
Certainly she should be given some support of some kind. If more
women were like her, there would be less problems in this country.

And as for the poor misunderstood home invaders, that is simple. Just
use them for target practice. It is like those morons who hang a sign
outside of their house, "gun free zone". They get robbed pretty
quickly. They take the sign down. Criminal are safety conscious. It
would be better for every one to created DANGEROUS working conditions
for criminals.

End of rant.

I'm a liberal. I am in favor of registration of firearms, and licensing
people for the use of them.

This lady did the right thing, and (I believe) has the 911 tapes to prove
it. Because she had a baby, and was in her home, she had and has the
right to defend herself against a perp like this. While it must be
traumatic to know she killed a human being, that human being didn't live
according to the rules. End of story. Kudos to the lady and I hope she
can get on with her life as best she can as soon as she can.

--
Best regards
Han