Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave__67 Dave__67 is offline

Default Speaking of Snap Rings -- Music Wire

On Jan 2, 3:08*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:28:40 -0600, Tim Wescott wrote:
Same reasons as for my annealing post: I'm trying to do a nicer job of
mounting wheels on model airplanes.

Given a piece of music wire that's already bent up (because you don't
really know where the end is going to be until it's bent), how would you
put a snap ring groove in a piece of hardened music wire? *Would a
groove made by a 1/32" cutoff disk in a Dremel tool have any chance of
being good enough? *Can you think of any simple fixturing that would
make the process better?

D'oh, d'oh, d'oh.

I was showing my landing gear to a guy at a fun-fly yesterday, and he
said "just sweat-solder some brass tubing with the right ID onto that,
drill a hole in the end, and use a little cotter pin".

D'oh.

Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Softwarehttp://www.wescottdesign.com

Idea being the tubing is fairly easy to drill compared to the music
wire?

I was at a new-years day fly Sunday, some folks got up before the wind
got too nuts (was gusting above 20 when I arrived).

Dave