Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default C'mon, now ............

"WayneJ" wrote

No argument that there are plenty of poor designs for accessibility, but
as far as the Ram Cummins goes, using the right filter wrench will make it
pretty easy. I bought a Ram with a Cummins in '93, presently have an '05,
one of the first things I did in '93 was get a filter wrench that would
work well.

It has 2 spring loaded jaws that will grip the filter from the bottom.
The wrench takes a 3/8 square drive in the bottom. Put the wrench on an
extension or 2 to get down in the clear, put a ratchet or break-over bar
on the end of the extension and turn as if to tighten the filter while
pushing up. The jaws expand and slide up on the filter. Then unscrew the
filter, the jaws on the wrench will hold it while you bring it down and
remove the extensions. With a little care you won't even spill any oil.

The wrench is well made and sturdy, I've taken off a seriously stuck
filter on a neighbors tractor without damage to the wrench, although the
filter didn't look too happy. I think it may be a Lisle, but it's down in
the shop and I'm not going down there tonight to look, there are other
similar wrenches.

WayneJ

I looked at several, and gagged every time I got to the price tag. So, I
took one of six extra filter tools, a cheap socket, and made a workable
wrench. It ain't perfect, but it works. Those damn engineers should have
to go to those motorcycle/auto schools for two years that I see advertised
all over now, and see how their hair brained ideas work in the real world.

I nostalgically look back at the '55-'57 Chevies. What a piece of art
mechanically! Wow, if we only had air tools way back then. Well, they
probably did, but not us 16 year olds.

Steve