Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
WayneJ[_4_] WayneJ[_4_] is offline

Default C'mon, now ............

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:40:14 -0800, Steve B wrote:

Like changing a oil filter on a 2006 Ram Cummins. You have to be strong
as
a gorilla, have to be able to lay on your back, and reach up and take 1/8
turn at a time. That is, when you get the workings of a regular filter
wrench on there.

So, I butchered a filter wrench, cutting off the handle, welding on a
socket
with a 1/4" drive end. And still, you have to put the wrench up there,
hold
it, insert the extension and driver, and click it all together. WTF are
some of these engineers thinking about when they design some of these
things. You can put an oil filter in a lot of places, many much easier
reach than where they put them now. Loosening motormounts to remove
spark
plugs on some cars, things like that.

No argument that there are plenty of poor designs for accessibility, but
as far as the Ram Cummins goes, using the right filter wrench will make it
pretty easy. I bought a Ram with a Cummins in '93, presently have an '05,
one of the first things I did in '93 was get a filter wrench that would
work well.

It has 2 spring loaded jaws that will grip the filter from the bottom.
The wrench takes a 3/8 square drive in the bottom. Put the wrench on an
extension or 2 to get down in the clear, put a ratchet or break-over bar
on the end of the extension and turn as if to tighten the filter while
pushing up. The jaws expand and slide up on the filter. Then unscrew the
filter, the jaws on the wrench will hold it while you bring it down and
remove the extensions. With a little care you won't even spill any oil.

The wrench is well made and sturdy, I've taken off a seriously stuck
filter on a neighbors tractor without damage to the wrench, although the
filter didn't look too happy. I think it may be a Lisle, but it's down in
the shop and I'm not going down there tonight to look, there are other
similar wrenches.

WayneJ