Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On 12/31/2011 4:34 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
m...
Steve B wrote the following:
"Doug wrote in message
On 12/29/2011 5:57 PM, Steve B wrote:

WTF is the deal? It's a plug. Absolutely no torque during operation.
Maybe a little vibration, but that's all.
Like I said in my initial response to you: a torque wrench is used to
prevent overtightening. Tighten the drain plug a bit too much, ruin the
washer. Tighten it a lot too much, damage the threads in the pan.

Is that like a spark plug? Plugs and spark plugs seem to me to be an
item that if one does not know how to insert and tighten properly, they
need to go on to basketweaving, or something. Why would any sane person
want to use a torque wrench on an oil plug? Screw in until it contacts,
tighten until resistance is felt, good to go.

Steve

Actually, a torque wrench is the correct way to tighten a spark plug in an
engine.
A torque wrench was not designed to overtighten a bolt. It was designed to
prevent overtightening of the bolt when using the manufacturer's tightness
specification.
Look it up.

--
Bill

Holy crap! All these years, I thought it was a baseline. X# of torque,
plus 1/8 turn (just because that's the way Grumpa did it), then a little
more just in case the unexpected happened.

I'll stick with the bottoming out of threads, then 1/8 turn or so, relying
on my massive intellect and intuitive powers, and decades of experience. So
far, I have NEVER EVER NOT ONCE IN MY LIFE twisted off a spark plug.

We are only talking about spark plugs here, right? ;-) I cannot bespeak of
inferior metallurgy, mislabeled bolts, nor incidents where it was plainly
NOT my fault.

Isn't that why easy-outs and oxy/acet rigs were invented? Every Christmas,
there seems to be some new invention to get out stripped out fasteners. I
hear now there's even one for getting out a stripped Phillips. If you can't
get one of those out, please turn in your tools to the tool shack

Steve

Steve

i'd like to see these torque wrench anals GET a torque wrench on a
modern transverse v-6 or one in a mini van. LMMFAO!! They're ****ing
kidding themselves. No one uses a torque wrench on a ****ing spark
plug. Please... we're lucky to get an air ratchet in there and run
'em down till they stop. There! done.

--
Steve Barker