Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damaged worktop: what to do

F wrote:
On 31/12/2011 12:47 The Natural Philosopher wrote:

F wrote:
On 07/12/2011 19:49 F wrote:

I've put a hot griddle pan (yes, I know!) down on the kitchen worktop
and now have a bubble in the surface around 10mm long and 5mm wide.
It's
a couple of mm high and has a fine crack across the top of it. The
worktop is a one of Formica's finest textured in black and grey.

Anyone able to advise on a repair other than 'replace it all'. I don't
have an angle grinder, but I do have a couple of cans of WD40...

Management has stayed calm. So far.

Management is still calm and considering a complete replacement.

In granite. 'Medium grey', whatever that may be.

Anyone any thoughts? Can it stain? Any particular 'type' to avoid or
to go for? I've no relevant experience...

you pay through the nose for granite - probably about 5 times what
laminated chip costs, but the result is worth it.

Its been through a volcano already. hot pans wont touch it.Frankly that
or stainless steel are the two best alternatives.

Make up a paper template and go to a monumental mason (grave stones) and
get it cut to size.

Hadn't thought of the stone mason option: thanks!

There's three pieces: a short 1M breakfast bar, another 0.6M rectangle
and, the largest, an L-shape, around 3M x 2.5M on the outside of the L
with cut-outs for the sink and gas hob in the longer leg. Presumably,
the latter comes in two sections with a diagonal join across the corner
of the L? Or a bishops mitre?

How do I seal the joint between them and make sure they don't move apart?

well granite doesn't MOVE as such..

I suppose a black epoxy is about where its at for the gap.