Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default C'mon, now ............

On 12/31/2011 9:20 AM, Ignoramus21023 wrote:

What I found, for myself, is that more or less all wrenches, except
the cheapest dollar store ones, basically work pretty equally.

However, the Snap-On wrenches are the most pleasant to handle because
of their finish. There is something about them, that makes them more
comfortable.

And it's the latter that is the reason the professionals continue to buy
them and the other pro-priced tools (as well as the onsite support and
the need for specialty stuff not readily available off-the-rack at Sears).

I returned to the family farm after 30 years away and there are more
tools here than one could shake a stick at--the only Craftsman of any
amount are those I brought home from my household collection other than
some very old from my grandfather's (I'd guess 30's/pre-war 40s at the
latest). Those include a bunch of pipe threaders/cutters, vice, etc.,
that are as well made as anything Ridgid has of similar size and still
use regularly when the task calls.

Mechanics hand tools are all over the map from early no-name stuff to
various sets of S-K, Proto, Thorsten, many others can't come up w/ by
name w/o going out to the shop and sorting through. There are
definitely multiples of almost everything from combination to open-end
to tappet sets to flex head, tubing, ... from ignition point size to
2+". There are box ends that have been cut and handles bent and
extensions welded on (combine beater bars) to all sorts of other odd
modifications for specific purposes and for a single specific
application on one particular piece of equipment; some of which may have
now been gone for 50 years.

All in all, they're all the same except for "fit and finish" -- there
are certain sets that are the ones that are in the front on the racks
that gravitate there because they are indeed the most comfortable and
the others gravitate to the rear or the drawers. Craftsman are _not_ in
that class although they are just as functional as any of the rest but
they simply don't have the feel; particularly the raised centers I don't
care for much and they are in general thicker than the sets that get
used most...

But, the quality as for actually working is fine although I do see a
great reduction in the quality of things like ratchets, etc., on the
shelves today vis a vis those in my collection, the latest of which date
from the 70s-early 80s.

For resale, I'd guess the Craftsman are a pretty decent haul; they're
the first thing the average homeowner joe thinks of even over the
professional names...