Mike Hide

Default How to Put 6" Duct to 1.5 HP Dust Collector?

I am talking about the oversized duct diameters .....mjh

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
I have to wonder as the diameter of duct increases ,using the

incompressable
fluid formula [and I am well aware air is compressable] ...Q=AV where A

is
the duct area, V is the velocity in the duct and Q is the volumetric

flow
rate , then the velocity will decrease for a given flow rate.

Honestly, I don't quite understand what you said. But I have a feeling
that you are referring to the 45-degree lateral-tee that I want to
connect to the 6" inlet of the dust collector.

The 45-degree lateral-tee that I mentioned in my original message has
a 6" outlet and a 6" inlet with a 2" side inlet. This means the
combined size of those two inlets will be greater than the outlet
size, and I intend to use both inlets at the same time to capture dust
from my table saw. This means the inlet size will be greater than the
outlet size. This means I may have a the bottle-neck at the 6" inlet
of the dust collector. This is probably what you are referring to. And
I probably need to reduce the combined size of the inlets of the
45-degree lateral-tee to match its outlet size. This sounds like a
reasonable concern to me. Thanks for warning.

This means I will need to use a different 45-degree lateral-tee. I am
thinking of getting one that has a 6" outlet and a 5" inlet and a 2"
side-inlet. If such a fitting is not available, I probably need to get
one with a 3" side-inlet and then use a reducer to transition it from
3" to 2". According to books on dust collection, a 5" duct to a table
saw should be good enough. Good, afterall hoses/fittings for 5" duct
are cheaper than those for 6" anyway.

Thanks again.

Jay Chan