Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can furnace gas valve solenoids be repaired/replaced?

Yow, that's astounding. I wrote such a lever into my short novel "Custodian
Plus" about a building super who uses such a lever to run the boiler in a 11
story tower. I had no idea such a thing existed. Thanks, I learn something
every day.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

In the owner's manual for the furnace were the instructions on how to
open the valve manually in the event of a power failure. You could
lift a tab on the valve and lock it in the open position to turn on
the gas. Because there was no blower, the suggested duty cycle was
something like 10 mins on/30 minutes off.

However, since it was totally up to the user to control the duty
cycle, it wasn't the safest convenience ever invented. I actually used
it once during a power outage, but was never very comfortable with the
practice. I shortened the On time just be safe.

I replaced the valve mid-winter. The following year we had an ice
storm that took the power out for 4 days. How I longed for that
"dangerous convenience" during those 4 days.