Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default C'mon, now ............

On Dec 30, 6:46*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
All this falderal about Craftsman ............. Mac ........... Proto
............ Snap-on.

Just how many 9/16" wrenches does one guy need? *And same with sockets? *And
just how good is any 9/16" socket if you don't put a 3/8" to 3/4" adapter on
it with a three foot cheater pipe?

Now, I know there are world's of difference in the ratchet assemblies of
various ratchets with multiple moving parts, but with the rest of it, what's
the big deal?

Having a full on set of Snap-On (substitute the name of any Better than
Yours Tool) does not mean much. *Stupid mechanics with a chest full of tools
have a problem of changing plugs without stripping three of eight. True
mechanics can have you back on the road with roadside tools and a drop
light.

It has nothing to do with the tools. *It has to do with knowledge. *If you
know what you're doing, the tools are secondary.

Steve

Yes, but good mechanics who make a living with their tools will be
more productive with better tools. There are uses for 12-point sockets
and other uses for 6-point. Sometimes you need narrow walled sockets,
sometimes you need stronger, thicker walled ones. The list goes on and
on.

The tool companies (mostly) don't make all those different wrenches
just so "stupid" mechanics will buy them to decorate their toolboxes.
They make them because they are a better fit for some job or another.
Then, we can talk about all the factory special tools - I have a
drawer full of various special Honda, BMW, Triumph and Norton wrenches
and pullers. Some from the factory and some that I made.

When you're getting paid by the job and not by the hour, having the
right tool can make a world of difference.