David Hearn

Default Replacing a boiler

"IMM" wrote in message
"David Hearn" wrote in message

I'm just thinking about the cost etc of
replacing our old wall hung Baxi
boiler.

What are the pros/cons of condensing boilers?

In your case saving 30% plus in gas bills.

Smelly flue gasses and mist,

The fumes don't smell. The mist can be a problem. If not then fine.

Hmm, our old neighbours one smelled distinctively of gas (well, faintly of
gas, but enough to notice), and when I read about it on here
(http://www.bryantplumbingandheating.com/condensers.htm) I just guessed it
must have been a condensing one.

To be honest, I don't like the ideas of
newer boilers (fanned flues etc) as
all I seem to hear is "My PCB's blown again
for the 3rd time, and at £150 to
replace its expensive" or "The fan's gone".
Please convince me that new
boilers don't stop working after a few years, and have expensive
maintenance.

These people have tended to buy the troublesome boilers. Fan flues have
been around for 30 years or more, and are virtually standard in all

boilers
over the past 20 years. There are Lada's and RRs of the boiler world too.
On this forum you don't hear of the boilers that have gone along

faultlessly
for 10-15 years, only the problem boilers. The nature of the group.

True.

I just seem to think that an old boiler will last longer than
a new boiler - and therefore I don't like them!

Older boilrs had little inside them. The point is "new" boilers. "All"
have pcbs inside.

I guess I like the idea of something that's easy to diagnose myself when
things go wrong, and I won't be fleeced by a Corgi taking a deep breath in
and picking a large number out the air for fixing. With new boilers, lots
of things I guess are computer controlled with more wizardry under the hood.
But as you say, a new boiler is going to have this regardless.

So - potentially could I purchase the boiler
of my choice (and at my price!)
and get a fitter to fit it? Or am I best specifying
to the fitter the boiler I want, and getting him
to get it with his discount?

Specify the boiler you are happy with. There are simple basic heating
boilers around. The new Wickes light cast-iron boilers (Halstead) are
simple, not modulating burners, but you still require pumps and zone

valves
outside of it.

Pumps and zone valves are already in place and working. If I could keep
what I've got that would be great.

snip

This is a "system" boiler with built-in pressure vessel, pump, etc, with

an
efficiency of around 80%. 2 yr guarantee on this the last time I looked

Ahh, as I'd like to keep my existing pump etc (its working, why replace it,
and its easy enough to replace myself if necessary) am I therefore
restricting myself to not having a system boiler? Are there any modulating
non-system boilers out there?

Fully modulating condensing system boilers are the better option.

Modulating means that it'll change the BTU setting depending on the demand?
Sounds a nice idea.

Thanks for the help - its certainly made me more aware of what's out there
and what things mean.