Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Can furnace gas valve solenoids be repaired/replaced?

On Dec 28, 11:22*am, Mikepier wrote:
I have a Trane XR80 gas furnace that started to act up recently. I
narrowed down to the gas valve. It was getting 24V, but not opening. I
lightly tapped it with a hammer, and it started working again.

Are these valves similiar to gas dryer valves? I had a problem with my
dryer one time, and just replaced the solenoids, and was fixed. Can I
do the same with a furnace gas valve? This is the gas valve on my
furnace now:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/180658768877?_lwgsi=yyp=AllFixedPrice....

There is a plastic cover on it which can be removed. If I remove it,
will I find the solenoids?

Just something to think about.. I repaired a solenoid controlled valve
at work a while back and noticed the terminals were crimped on to the
wire the coil was wound with. Soldered them on and never had anymore
trouble. This valve controlled compressed air at about 10 PSI. Over
the past 20 years we had replace quite a few of these valves and I'm
betting the crimp was the problem on most if not all of them.This
valve was only energized about twice a year so Im figuring getting
about 8 or 10 cycles out of it is pretty lousy reliability if it is
failing from use. More likely it was failing from age. My humidifier
solenoid valve also had crimp on connections to the coil so when it
went bad I soldered the connections on the new coil. That's been maybe
15 years ago and the coil still works but I have had to replace the
valve part due to corrosion.

Jimmie