Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

Doug Miller wrote:

On 12/28/2011 12:55 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I wasn't
*seriously* abusing.

Then you've gotten damn lucky with the HF tools. IME, they're garbage.

I had to return this set of snap ring pliers
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...s-set-610.html
because the points on the jaws bent, the first time I used them, to the
point that a snap ring wouldn't stay on them.

These punches
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-93111.html
mushroomed and bent on first use under gentle tapping.

and so on. Crap like that just doesn't happen with Craftsman tools.

Really? I ruined a brand new #2 'Shaftsman' screwdriver when I tried
to take the 6/32" screws out of a computer case. I tossed it in the
scrap metal bucket and picked up a no name #2 made in China that I
bought new for 20 cents and finished the job. I had just exchanged that
piece of crap at Sears an hour earlier. The worn out one was well
made. The replacement had bad chrome over badly pitted steel. That was
over 10 years ago. I haven't bought any tools there, since. I was
given two gift cards about that time, and got to cordless drills that
didn't last a year. I have a power miter small saw from Sears. They
piece of crap blows sawdust into the handle. It packs tight, and you
can't bring the blade all the way down. I have one of their 10" table
saws that was made by Emerson. It has a custom mounted motor that can't
be replaced. It used a thermal breaker, instead of a start switch in
the motor. That part hasn't been available in a long, long time. If you
put either part number in a search engine you get tens of thousands of
hit from people trying to find parts.

I have only had one bad tool from Harbor Freight, and I started
dealing with them about 30 years ago. It was a six in one screwdriver
that had a burr in the handle that wouldn't let you use one of the
reversible bits.

My favorite hand tools were Xcelite, until 'The Cooper Group' bought
them.