Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Can furnace gas valve solenoids be repaired/replaced?

Mikepier wrote:
I have a Trane XR80 gas furnace that started to act up recently. I
narrowed down to the gas valve. It was getting 24V, but not opening. I
lightly tapped it with a hammer, and it started working again.

Are these valves similiar to gas dryer valves? I had a problem with my
dryer one time, and just replaced the solenoids, and was fixed. Can I
do the same with a furnace gas valve? This is the gas valve on my
furnace now:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1806587...pes& var=sbar

There is a plastic cover on it which can be removed. If I remove it,
will I find the solenoids?

Similar thing happened to me.

Remove the whole gizmo from the gas line and take it to Grainger's. Say
"gimme one like this". For somewhere in the neighborhood of $60, you'll be
good to go.

Or, you can try disassembling the thing and see if you can deduce why the
solenoid won't latch. It may be something as simple as a dose of WD-40, oil,
or rust removal and cleaning.