Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can furnace gas valve solenoids be repaired/replaced?

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 08:22:48 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

I have a Trane XR80 gas furnace that started to act up recently. I
narrowed down to the gas valve. It was getting 24V, but not opening. I
lightly tapped it with a hammer, and it started working again.

Are these valves similiar to gas dryer valves? I had a problem with my
dryer one time, and just replaced the solenoids, and was fixed. Can I
do the same with a furnace gas valve? This is the gas valve on my
furnace now:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1806587...pes& var=sbar

There is a plastic cover on it which can be removed. If I remove it,
will I find the solenoids?

Where will you find the replacement solenoids if you can get to the
old ones? What will they cost you??
I'd just buy the valve and be done with it, myself - and I'm a "cheap
bugger"