Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
N8N N8N is offline

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On Dec 28, 12:55*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Frank wrote:

On 12/28/2011 3:05 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
"The Daring *wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. *If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. *I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

*From what I read lately, HF tools are probably just as good.

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I wasn't
*seriously* abusing. I have seen Snap-On tools break under comparable
abuse, so I'm not sure there is any real advantage there.

I've had a Craftsman flare nut wrench "spread" the first time I tried
to use it. Also have been disappointed by a few screwdrivers that
seemed to be made of compressed poop and fail - especially the
straight blade ones seem to twist rather easily. I also had a Torx
screwdriver shaft twist in the handle the very first time I tried to
use it - to adjust the choke housing on a brand new Edelbrock
carburetor (e.g. not corroded or seized.)

Other than having to exchange ratchets every now and again, I've had
zero problems with Craftsman's socket sets however, although now that
I've said that... (mine were purchased sometime around 1995ish, FWIW
- those that I didn't inherit from older family members that is) I
did have a cracked Husky brand socket (probably still do somewhere)
that I have yet to figure out how to exchange - the employees of that
Orange Colored Store just look at each other and shrug when I ask them
how to get a replacement. Despite the huge "Lifetime Warranty!"
banner over the socket display that was in the last store that I
tried. No more Husky tools for me!

nate