Posted to alt.home.repair
joevan joevan is offline

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:18:54 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Dec 28, 11:55*am, "Pete C." wrote:

snip

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I wasn't
*seriously* abusing. I have seen Snap-On tools break under comparable
abuse, so I'm not sure there is any real advantage there.

The SnapOn Warranty...
True story: in many years turning wrenches, just like other pros I
would always shop the tool trucks that stopped by. This gives one an
eclectic collection of brands and an appreciation of warranty
policies.
When I savaged a Philips screw driver one day trying to remove a rusty
brake disc, I tossed it on the toolbox side tray where our SnapOn rep
noticed it a few days later and volunteered to replace the blade.
Nice. Fast forward, and the screwdriver gets in trouble somehow (don't
remember). Same scenario, SnapOn rep gives me a lot of friendly grief
about tool care and then departs for the truck, coming back in a few
minutes with a new handle. Tried to pay the guy (after all its a
complete new tool now) and he simply says, "We warranty the whole
tool." FWIW, the tool is still functional and useful.

Joe

I still have my S and K socket set that I bought in 1960. It comes in
handy now and again. 1960 was the last year I worked in the ford
garage in VA. The same place in still going with the same owner, boss
and my younger brother is still working there. He is just 5 years
younger than me.
Isn't amazing how fast the years pass!!!