Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Calif says "not so fast" to oil changes

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 11:37:53 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/26/2011 10:48 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 02:34:52 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/25/2011 10:52 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 13:03:10 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/25/2011 12:21 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 00:46:59 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Ed wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 07:03:12 -0800 (PST), BobR

stuff snipped

Give me one valid reason why that shouldn't be the sole discretion of
the public and not the state.

I've not see where anyone says the state should tell you when to
change oil. The state is, however, educating people that the
manufacturer knows better than the oil change store that has a vested
interest in selling you a profit making service.

Exactly. Sometimes just focusing attention on a subject can have pretty
effective results.

As a manufacturer giving a warranty on wear, it is in their best
interest to avoid repairs. If they say longer is OK, it probably is.
They don't want to be doing ring and bearings at 50,000 miles on all
the cars they've sold. That was a common repair at that point in the
1950's. Now, the warranty is often 100k.

Good point. Clearly, *something* has changed to make it viable to offer so
much longer warranties than before.
Lead has been removed from gasoline and the choke has been eliminated
by the use of EFI and electronic engine controls in general.. This
accounts for the vast majority of the improvement in engine
reliability and life.

The lead in the gasoline lubricated the valve seats in the cylinder
heads of the old engines. Lead was replaced by MTBE to increase the
octane number and that stuff started showing up in the groundwater
as another pollutant that would cause you to grow an extra nose or
something. No matter what we do, there are always unintended results.

TDD
The removal of lead also allowed the use of catalytic converters and
oxygen sensors to control the emissions. And MTBE was not used
universally (and should never have been approved for use)

I know all about cataclysmic converters, everyone I know has been
hounding me to install one in the back of my shorts. It has something
to do with toxic gas emissions and also works as a muffler. o_O

TDD

But you need to get the lead out of your ass before it is feasible????

Lead deposits are the most difficult thing to remove from ones butt. ^_^

A little messy but "000" shouldn't be too hard to remove.