Mike Hide

Default How to Put 6" Duct to 1.5 HP Dust Collector?

I have to wonder as the diameter of duct increases ,using the incompressable
fluid formula [and I am well aware air is compressable] ...Q=AV where A is
the duct area, V is the velocity in the duct and Q is the volumetric flow
rate , then the velocity will decrease for a given flow rate .

Considering the above seems to me the heavier dust particleswill just fall
to the bottom of the duct and stay there as the velocity gradient there is
theoretically zero, that is until enough of them are deposited to reduce the
effective area and in turn increase the duct velocity. To me it's kind of
like which came first the chicken or the egg, I suppose at some point the
whole thing stabilizes ???mjh

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
I have just got a JET 1.5 HP cansiter dust collector. It has two 4"
inlets that are placed over a 6" inlet -- a very standard thing for a
single stage dust collector. I would like to get rid of those two 4"
inlets and connect a 6" duct directly to the 6" inlet. I know this can
be done because I believe many people have done that before. My
question is: How?

The 6" inlet only has a 1.75" flange. Can I simply use a hose-clamp to
clamp a duct onto the 6" inlet? I am afraid that the 1.75" flange
doesn't provide enough area for the hose-clamp to lock the hose down.
Is there a better way to do this?

Background info that may or may not be relevant:
I want to use a 6" duct connecting to the 6" inlet. The 6" duct
will be a metal fitting that has a 6" opening and a small 2" (or
2.5"?) branching out at a 45-degree angle. I believe it is called a
"45-degree lateral" or something like that.
I will run a short length of 6" flex hose from the metal duct to
the dust port under the table saw, and I will run a short length of 2"
flex hose from the metal duct to the top of the table saw right over
the saw blade. I will move the dust collector to as close to the
table saw as possible; therefore, I don't need any other ductwork. If
I need to capture dust from another power tool, I will move the dust
collector to that power tool, no problem.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Jay Chan