David Hearn

Default Replacing a boiler

I'm just thinking about the cost etc of replacing our old wall hung Baxi
boiler. No urgent requirement for it to be replace, and therefore no real
plan - mainly just thinking about the sort of cost we may have to expect
should we need to do this sometime.

Currently we have a balanced flue (boiler on external wall in kitchen) with
feed/return and gas pipe coming down through the ceiling above (its a 3 bed
1930's semi).

What are the pros/cons of condensing boilers? Smelly flue gasses and mist,
along with higher efficiency.

To be honest, I don't like the ideas of newer boilers (fanned flues etc) as
all I seem to hear is "My PCB's blown again for the 3rd time, and at £150 to
replace its expensive" or "The fan's gone". Please convince me that new
boilers don't stop working after a few years, and have expensive
maintenance. I just seem to think that an old boiler will last longer than
a new boiler - and therefore I don't like them!

So - potentially could I purchase the boiler of my choice (and at my price!)
and get a fitter to fit it? Or am I best specifying to the fitter the
boiler I want, and getting him to get it with his discount?

Any recommendations for boilers (including condensing, but excluding
combi's) and their approximate cost. Excluding the cost of the boiler
itself, what sort of cost should I expect to have the boiler fitted.

Are there any issues with getting a boiler to work with the controls I
already have? I've got an old Potterton EP2001 and a new Solwise
programmable thermostat which I would very much like to keep (they do an
excellent job for what I want from the heating).

Basically, the boiler is old and I want an idea of the sort of cost I should
expect to replace it (boiler and installation), and a recommedation for some
good (reliable and efficient) boilers.

Thanks

To send email to me - remove references to NoSpam, and Spammer from my email
address.