Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Garrett Fulton[_2_] Garrett Fulton[_2_] is offline

Default Is there a way to remount a bowl?

"Ray" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 04:59:15 -0700 (PDT), jtpryan
wrote:

Cut a disk the same size as the bowl either the interior or exterior
of the bowl and use the tail stock on the center of the disk. This
should get you close enough, and you can use the tail stock to apply
pressure for gluing. I use the tailstock to glue layers of my
segmented bowls, See pictures at:

ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ray80538/SegmentedBowl/segbowl.html

I have a bowl I did that I've never really been happy with on the inside.
Of course there is no longer a tenon on it, it has a smooth, somewhat flat
bottom. Is there a way to somehow remount this so I can work on the inside
again? My fear is that if I glue it to a blank I'll never really get it
exactly centered and it will not spin true, making it worse.

Or, I could put a plant in it....

Thanks,
Jim

Been reading this newsgroup for quite a while trying to learn something
about bowl turning before I retire, hopefully soon. I'll have to delurk and
say that Ray, you are an artist. I've done some woodworking over the
years, and want to try my hand at bowl turning in retirement. The work of
the people here is an inspiration. Thanks for posting that link. I've got
plenty of dry white and red oak in thick planks. Is it a good wood for bowl
turning?

Garrett Fulton