Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Lets have green public transport

In message om, at
11:58:14 on Tue, 20 Dec 2011, "dennis@home"
remarked:
You could look at the overall mpg. Which is claimed to be 11.6mpg
compared to 8.6mpg for earlier designs of hybrid bus and 5.8mpg for a
normal diesel bus.

If that is under the same conditions and those conditions are typical
of how they are driven.

That is what we must assume, on pain of such figures being exposed as a
fraud.

Even then they may not be green as its the total emissions over its
life that matter not just the bit where its driving about.
Then even if it does reduce the total emissions it may still produce
more emissions than an alternative.
There is no such thing as green only shades of other colours.

I assume you are referring to the carbon footprint of manufacturing a
complex vehicle like this. I agree that this should be factored into a
lifetime figure for a vehicle.

http://www.ptua.org.au/myths/energy.shtml suggests that the
manufacturing contribution for a bus could be as much as 30%, but if
that delivers double the fuel efficiency it's a win.
--
Roland Perry