Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] PlainBill@yawhoo.com is offline

Default Pc displays "out of range"

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:27:33 -0800 (PST), nvic
wrote:

On Dec 14, 5:26*pm, kwamena banson wrote:
Hi
my PC which was working alright was tampered by my kids and it only
shows "OUT OF RANGE" on the monitor. How do I solve this problem? I'm
using windows 7 and an LCD monitor. I've tried changing the resolution
in SAFE MODE but to know avail(it works in safe mode). I've removed
the CMOS battery and the RAM in case it will help but the problem is
still there.

Try what Michael said and change the video mode while in safe mode.

If it doesn't help: From the same menu where you select "Safe Mode",
select "Enable VGA Mode" instead. The system will boot normally, but
with the resolution set to 640x480.

Once at the desktop, change the video mode to something like 1024x768,
then reboot normally.

I suggest following the above steps, but, while it is running in VGA
mode go online and determine the native resolution of the monitor and
set the resolution to that.

After that, go to Control Panel / User Accounts and Family Safety and
make a few changes.

1. Create a standard user account for the kids; no need to password
protect it. Also set appropriate Parental Controls.

2. Pasword protect your user account to avoid this happening again.

PlainBill