Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Pc displays "out of range"

Hi
my PC which was working alright was tampered by my kids and it only
shows "OUT OF RANGE" on the monitor. How do I solve this problem? I'm
using windows 7 and an LCD monitor. I've tried changing the resolution
in SAFE MODE but to know avail(it works in safe mode). I've removed
the CMOS battery and the RAM in case it will help but the problem is
still there.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

kwamena banson wrote:
Hi
my PC which was working alright was tampered by my kids and it only
shows "OUT OF RANGE" on the monitor. How do I solve this problem? I'm
using windows 7 and an LCD monitor. I've tried changing the resolution
in SAFE MODE but to know avail(it works in safe mode). I've removed
the CMOS battery and the RAM in case it will help but the problem is
still there.

out of range just means the monitor can't determine what signal if any
that it's getting.

broken pins or the video connector are one cause of this, or just a bad
cable.

does any of the on screen display stuff work? If so, I'd check the cable
or try it on another computer or the computer with another monitor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

kwamena banson wrote:

Hi
my PC which was working alright was tampered by my kids and it only
shows "OUT OF RANGE" on the monitor. How do I solve this problem? I'm
using windows 7 and an LCD monitor. I've tried changing the resolution
in SAFE MODE but to know avail(it works in safe mode). I've removed
the CMOS battery and the RAM in case it will help but the problem is
still there.

Change the monitor settings while in safe mode, or try another
monitor. It is trying to drive the monitor at a non supported
resolution.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 14, 5:26*pm, kwamena banson wrote:
Hi
my PC which was working alright was tampered by my kids and it only
shows "OUT OF RANGE" on the monitor. How do I solve this problem? I'm
using windows 7 and an LCD monitor. I've tried changing the resolution
in SAFE MODE but to know avail(it works in safe mode). I've removed
the CMOS battery and the RAM in case it will help but the problem is
still there.

Try what Michael said and change the video mode while in safe mode.

If it doesn't help: From the same menu where you select "Safe Mode",
select "Enable VGA Mode" instead. The system will boot normally, but
with the resolution set to 640x480.

Once at the desktop, change the video mode to something like 1024x768,
then reboot normally.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:27:33 -0800 (PST), nvic
wrote:

On Dec 14, 5:26*pm, kwamena banson wrote:
Hi
my PC which was working alright was tampered by my kids and it only
shows "OUT OF RANGE" on the monitor. How do I solve this problem? I'm
using windows 7 and an LCD monitor. I've tried changing the resolution
in SAFE MODE but to know avail(it works in safe mode). I've removed
the CMOS battery and the RAM in case it will help but the problem is
still there.

Try what Michael said and change the video mode while in safe mode.

If it doesn't help: From the same menu where you select "Safe Mode",
select "Enable VGA Mode" instead. The system will boot normally, but
with the resolution set to 640x480.

Once at the desktop, change the video mode to something like 1024x768,
then reboot normally.

I suggest following the above steps, but, while it is running in VGA
mode go online and determine the native resolution of the monitor and
set the resolution to that.

After that, go to Control Panel / User Accounts and Family Safety and
make a few changes.

1. Create a standard user account for the kids; no need to password
protect it. Also set appropriate Parental Controls.

2. Pasword protect your user account to avoid this happening again.

PlainBill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

PlainBill- Hide quoted text -

I would add to give the kids a gold-talking-to, and maybe no allowance
or take away some privileges so they learn a lesson.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
cjt cjt is offline

wrote:

On Dec 14, 5:26 pm, kwamena wrote:
[...]

Better still, call up Bill Gates and give HIM a talking-to. There's no
excuse for supposedly mature software to misbehave so badly.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 14, 3:14*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
kwamena banson wrote:

Hi
my PC which was working alright was tampered by my kids and it only
shows "OUT OF RANGE" on the monitor. How do I solve this problem? I'm
using windows 7 and an LCD monitor. I've tried changing the resolution
in SAFE MODE but to know avail(it works in safe mode). I've removed
the CMOS battery and the RAM in case it will help but the problem is
still there.

* *Change the monitor settings while in safe mode, or try another
monitor. *It is trying to drive the monitor at a non supported
resolution.

Wouldn't that be the same as "hide modes that this monitor cannot
display'? That way you can't select an incompatible mode in the first
place. Sound like the OP thinks his monitor can do a resolution that
in fact is wrong since he could get video on it in safe mode..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
kwamena banson wrote:

Hi
my PC which was working alright was tampered by my kids and it only
shows "OUT OF RANGE" on the monitor. How do I solve this problem? I'm
using windows 7 and an LCD monitor. I've tried changing the resolution
in SAFE MODE but to know avail(it works in safe mode). I've removed
the CMOS battery and the RAM in case it will help but the problem is
still there.

Change the monitor settings while in safe mode, or try another
monitor. It is trying to drive the monitor at a non supported
resolution.

Wouldn't that be the same as "hide modes that this monitor cannot
display'? That way you can't select an incompatible mode in the first
place. Sound like the OP thinks his monitor can do a resolution that
in fact is wrong since he could get video on it in safe mode..

There is a EEPROM in most SVGA monitors that have a list of supported
resolutions. There is nothing to hide, as long as the computer can read
that chip. It uses the old hard wired resolution ID lines from the
original VGA specification. HTH else would the computer know the
supported resolutions, if the monitor didn't tell it?

THAT is why I suggested plugging in a different monitor, to force the
PC to update the list of available resolutions. If there is still a
problem, there may be a problem with the video card in that it is unable
to see the EEPROM. If they have used other monitors in the past,
someone may have selected an old monitor, but most likely it's malware
that set it to an unusable resolution to disable the computer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:16:09 -0600, cjt wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Granted, Windows 7 still has plenty of flaws, but this particular
incident is not the software's fault. It is possible to set a display
resolution a monitor does not support. Contrary to popular opinion,
many monitors do NOT correctly report their capabilities.

Whe a user changes the display resolution, they are forced to approve
the change. If they somehow accept an unsupported resolution, Win7
has the feature in the boot menu that permits dropping to a low
resolution. And it is quite likely that many users don't know how to
get to the boot menu, so I can't criticize the OP for know knowing how
to recover. I DO blame one of the early responders for saying the
monitor or video card was defective.

PlainBill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Granted, Windows 7 still has plenty of flaws, but this particular
incident is not the software's fault. It is possible to set a display
resolution a monitor does not support. Contrary to popular opinion,
many monitors do NOT correctly report their capabilities.

My monitor (which is about 10 years old) came with a file, that when
installed, informs the OS as to its capabilities. If you select the monitor
from the drop-down list when configuring the display, you can't set up it
outside its range.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 12:39:27 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Granted, Windows 7 still has plenty of flaws, but this particular
incident is not the software's fault. It is possible to set a display
resolution a monitor does not support. Contrary to popular opinion,
many monitors do NOT correctly report their capabilities.

My monitor (which is about 10 years old) came with a file, that when
installed, informs the OS as to its capabilities. If you select the monitor
from the drop-down list when configuring the display, you can't set up it
outside its range.

Very nice for you, but irrelevant. My monitor (purchased 'dead' and
repaired) did not come with such a file, and it is not available on
the manufacturer's website. I have within 50' of me two TV/monitors
that report nothing but 'generic VGA monitor' when connected to a
computer.

PlainBill