Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Reverse segment calculator

On 12/13/2011 10:13 AM, Ray wrote:

That one was done last March. I have been turning for less than a
year so it might be too soon to judge stability. In that bowl the
grain of the wood runs mostly tangentially to the bowl so any
expansion / contraction should be radial. I can't feel any
unevenness. I have had cross grain problems in the past and tend to
avoid it.

It's always a hard one - seems like there's always some contrary
expansion that goes on no matter what you do. :-) Glad those are stable.

Your finished bowl looks nice. Sometimes photography does not do
justice to subtle detail. How did the end grain piece turn out?

Thanks Ray. The end grain piece is the lid to the bowl, the darn day
job has prevented me from finishing it! (Not that I'm complaining -
plenty of guys out of work that would love such "troubles".)

I'll post a nicer photo of the bowl when I get the lid done. I think
it'll be interesting to see how seasonal humidity changes affect it...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska