Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Reverse segment calculator

In article ,
Ray wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 18:31:36 -0900, Kevin Miller
wrote:

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...l/segbowl.html

I've been to your site before. I'm curious - have you had any
expansion/contraction issues with the segments in the bottom such as
with image
http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...l/P1240146.jpg
(about half way down the page)?

That one was done last March. I have been turning for less than a
year so it might be too soon to judge stability. In that bowl the
grain of the wood runs mostly tangentially to the bowl so any
expansion / contraction should be radial. I can't feel any
unevenness. I have had cross grain problems in the past and tend to
avoid it.

Most of the "top" segmented turners I've talked with say to avoid
cross-grain.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv