Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ray[_7_] Ray[_7_] is offline

Default Reverse segment calculator

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 21:02:51 -0900, Kevin Miller
wrote:

On 12/11/2011 01:23 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
really. End grain isn't that muhc of an issue - I'm still mostly turning
side grain. I'll post a photo later showing the effect and what the
rings look like after they're trimmed on the bandsaw & lathe. It makes
more sense when you see the destination...

OK, I take back what I said about end grain. Good catch Ray.

...Kevin

If what you are looking for is the pinwheel effect you might consider
cutting like for trapezoids but making one angle 90 degrees and
doubling the angle for the other end. I have been doing segmented
bowls for about a year. Some of my projects at

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...l/segbowl.html

Are the black lines between segments an inlay or wide glue lines. The
way you glue up looks like it might be difficult to get tight joints.