Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mearvk mearvk is offline

Default Sony CD Player Repair

On Dec 12, 11:43*am, mearvk wrote:
On Dec 12, 7:33*am, Tim Schwartz wrote:

On 12/11/2011 7:14 PM, mearvk wrote:

I have an old Sony 5-disc CD player. *It wasn't working when I got
it. *Cracked the lid and the issue appears to be that the motors are
worn down. *This unit is maybe 10+ years old and in 2nd or 3rd hand
condition. *My question is whether it's the motors that are worn down
or the power supply. *I suspect the motors due to their mechanical
nature but the behavior (sluggishness) suggests that perhaps they
aren't getting enough power. *Open to suggestions and tests that could
be run.

Thanks ahead.

Hello,

* * * * I'd start by looking at belts that have stretched out over time. *They
could also be just dirty or greasy. *You can try cleaning them and the
pulleys they run on with plain rubbing alcohol. *Lubrication can also be
an issue, but DON'T use spray lubricants, and be very sparing with any lube.

* * * * The date the machine was made is likely marked on it, as most, if not
all products with lasers are.

* * * * It would be helpful if you would post the model number of the player in
future posts.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

It's a Sony CDP-C260Z. *There appears to be sufficient grease on the
tracks. *Yes, I checked the belts. *One of them in a non-tooth version
which, as you suggest, has stretched out over time. *I don't know
where I'd get a replacement for it however. *I see a sticker on the
back with 1997 on it.

The motor which controls the in-out functionality of the 5-disc tray
is toothed. *This too, is quite sluggish. *Yes, there's a good deal of
grease on the teeth, drive mechanisms.

So again, what do you think is the best way to approach solving the
sluggishness, assuming its not grease?

Edit:

The motor which controls the in-out functionality of the 5-disc tray
is driven by a toothed belt. *This too, is quite sluggish. *Yes, there's a good deal of
grease on the teeth & drive mechanisms.